Updated on May 30th, 2023
On this page
Get expert tips on how to SEO a startup effectively.
Want to know how to search engine optimization(SEO) your startup? You are not alone as many like you do too.
As an owner of a startup, one of the worries that you have is how to market your business using digital marketing avenues like search engine optimization to generate income, especially, without a big budget like established businesses.
In this guide, I’ll share some of the best techniques to SEOing a startup without breaking the bank based on over 10+ of SEO experience.
They are tips that have helped other startups like yours rank higher and explode.
5 best ways to SEO optimize a startup in 2023
1. Start with a strong foundation
The first step to SEOing a startup is to make sure your website is built on a strong foundation.
This means having a well-designed website with high-quality content. You should also make sure your website is mobile-friendly and loads quickly by avoiding bloats, optimizing the robots.txt correctly, etc.
Here are some more things to keep in mind when creating a strong SEO foundation for your startup website:
- Use web hosts like WP Engine or Bluehost with the right package to avoid uptime issues and load fast. The last thing you need is search engine bots constantly getting 5xx errors message whenever they try to crawl your startup websites.
- Use high-quality images and videos to engage your visitors.
- Write clear and concise content that answers your visitors’ questions.
- Make sure your website is easy to navigate and find what they’re looking for.
- Keep your website updated with fresh content and information.
- Create contents that have high searcher intent as they convert better.
2. Optimize your website for search engines
Once your website is built with great tools like Leadpages or WordPress or a combination of both (the CMS can be WordPress and you use Leadpages stunning landing pages for design and to capture more leads), it’s time to start optimizing it for search engines.
This means including your target keywords throughout your website, both on-page and off-page. You should also make sure your site has a strong backlink profile.
More tricks when SEO optimizing your startup website for Google and other major search engines:
- Use relevant keywords throughout your website, including in your titles, headings, and meta descriptions.
- Create high-quality content that is relevant to your target keywords.
- Build backlinks from high-quality websites.
- Get your website listed in local directories.
3. Create high-quality content
Content is still king when it comes to SEO and startup SEO is no different. The more high-quality content you have on your website, the better your chances of ranking well in search results.
Make sure your content is well-written, informative, and engaging.
Here are some tips for creating high-quality content when doing startup SEO:
Write topics that have high search intent and are relevant to your target audience (we recommend that you tools like Semrush and SurferSEO to find these keywords and content ideas)
- Use bullet points to make it easy for people to scan as most people scan and not read.
- Use social media to promote your content and reach a wider audience.
- Get feedback from your audience to see what they like and don’t like about your content.
4. Promote your startup website
Once you’ve done the hard work of search engine optimizing your website and creating high-quality content, it’s time to start promoting it.
There are many ways to promote your website to help with SEO and more exposure.
Here are some tips:
- Share your content on social media.
- Use email marketing tools like ActiveCampaigns to turn your website visitors into subscribers and promote your content to them.
- Write guest posts for both established and other startup websites in your industry or related industry.
5. Track your SEO results
It’s important to track your results to see how your startup SEO efforts are performing. This will help you determine what’s working and what’s not.
You can use Google Analytics, SemRush, etc, to track your startup website traffic and keyword rankings.
Here are some tips on how to track your startup SEO results:
- Set up Google Analytics and track your website traffic.
- Track your keyword rankings in Google Search Console.
- Use social media analytics to track your social media engagement.
- Use email marketing analytics to track your email marketing campaigns.
Why SEO a startup?
As a startup business, you are probably on a budget but you still have to do digital marketing as that’s one of the sure ways of reaching a massive audience in the 21st century.
And one of the most cost-effective ways to do this digital marketing is doing startup website SEO.
When SEO for a startup is done correctly, you can generate a lot of awareness and money for your business without spending too much. A Backlinko study further supports this point, stating that proper SEO can lead to a significant increase in organic traffic and conversions.
Final thoughts on how to SEO a startup
SEOing a startup can be a lot of work, but it’s definitely worth it. By following the SEO tips on how to do it I mentioned in this blog, you can improve your startup website’s ranking in search engine results like Google, attract more visitors, and get more sign-ups or sales for your startup product or services.
About the Author
A Los Angeles resident who loves to write awesome guides on SEO, WordPress speed/security, content strategies, business and personal finance, digital and growth hack tools, legal stuff, etc, that are helpful to businesses, solopreneurs, bloggers, and consumers.
What I write about is based on tests, extensive research, and 11+ years of experience as a former Senior digital & content marketing consultant with a division of Thomson Reuters and running a successful digital marketing agency…[Read full bio]